Characteristics of Four-Year Olds
Energetic and imaginative best describes four-year-olds. They are able to learn new words quickly, and use them in chatting with you, telling you jokes and wild stories.
What are four-year olds like?
Physical (Motor- Fine & Cross)
- Buttons, zips, and buckles
- Cuts simple shapes with scissors
- Rides a bicycle with training wheels
- Has a high need for motor activity
Social & Emotional
- Likes to whisper and tell secrets
- Emotions tend to be extreme
Language (Receptive and Expressive)
- Likes new words, big words, and silly words
- Uses a vocabulary of 1200-1500 words
- Exaggerates and likes ridiculous stories
- Fascinated with elimination words
- Questions constantly, especially "why"
- Engages in conversation up to 30 minutes
- Identifies some letters in own name
- Likes newness in information, activity, and things
- Has an active imagination
- Identifies likenesses and differences between objects
- May begin to show interest in written words
- Understands the relationship between parts and wholes